Problems with GivEnergy EV charger

• Based in the UK, I have GivEnergy inverters and home batteries, and so chose the GivEnergy charger when it was released last November. It was installed in January, and works in the "Plug and Go" setting, but fails whenever I try to set a schedule to charge overnight. in summary, if the car is plugged in but NOT charging, after a short (variable) period - could be a few minutes up to an hour - it generates a fault code and needs to be reset.

I have done two tests:

1. I have tested the charger with another vehicle - a PHEV Volvo belonging to a neighbour - and it works OK - no fault code.
    2. I have charged my Smart#1 at an Ohme charge point - it worked fine, although I didn't have time to test the schedule

The GivEnergy engineer came yesterday and fitted a replacement charger. This gave the same error after a few minutes. He said the error was being sent from the car to the charger.

I would like to try another Smart#1 to see if it's my car that's at fault, but don't know anyone else to ask.

So I have 2 questions:

1. does anyone else have a Smart#1 and a GivEnergy charger that work together on scheduled charging
    2. if I have to move to another charger, what should I choose? I have solar panels so need to be able to charge from excess solar in the summer.
  • I fear that's a problem every #1 and #3 has. I'm not sure why the charger is trowing error codes. But scheduled charging doesn't work at all in this combination.

If you want to schedule charging with the #1, you have to do the in the car's settings. Being scheduled by a wallbox doesn't work, as the smart will fall asleep and won't notice, that the signal of the box has changed, so he's now allowed to start charging.

smart BRABUS #1 in gelb, 04/2023; > 20.000 km

smart fortwo Coupé 451er ED 3,7 kW-Lader, 05/2013; > 280.000km (bei 250.000 km 22 kW nachgerüstet)

smart fortwo Cabrio 453er EQ 22 kW-Lader, 04/2021 - 08/2023; 42.000 km

smart fortwo Coupé 453er EQ 22 kW-Lader, 05/2018 - 05/2021; 109.000km

"Aus Gaspedal wird Spaßpedal"

- smart

• It's better there, but not yet fully solved.

Hello Moritz - just following up on this topic. Do you know if Smart is working on a fix for the car not accepting charging by the wallbox?

The reason I ask is that in the UK Octopus Energy offers an electricity tariff called "Agile" under which the tariff is set according to the market wholesale price of power across the UK. In the UK power market, the price is set on a "day-ahead" basis for each of 48 x 30 minute periods in a day.

So a different price every 30 minutes! The prices are published at 16h00 every day for the following day. This allows you to have software to schedule the cheapest periods for using power - and this is great if you have house batteries to charge - or of course an EV.

We also have an air source heat pump - not common in the UK - and this uses power fairly evenly through the day. This is good because the Agile power prices are nearly always around 10 - 15p/kWh EXCEPT during the evening peak hours of 16h00 - 19h00 when they are between 30 - 40p/kWh. So most of our house consumption is at the lower rates.

Back to Smart charging: for the above reasons it would be nice to be able to schedule the car to charge during the low cost Agile periods - which needs it to stay awake!

This post is a little off topic so please move it if you wish.

• They are, but we don't know when the updates with that will come.

smart BRABUS #1 in gelb, 04/2023; > 20.000 km

smart fortwo Coupé 451er ED 3,7 kW-Lader, 05/2013; > 280.000km (bei 250.000 km 22 kW nachgerüstet)

smart fortwo Cabrio 453er EQ 22 kW-Lader, 04/2021 - 08/2023; 42.000 km

smart fortwo Coupé 453er EQ 22 kW-Lader, 05/2018 - 05/2021; 109.000km

"Aus Gaspedal wird Spaßpedal"

- smart

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Do you have questions about smart and e-mobility or do you want to discuss the content of this page?

Then register today here in the smart EMOTION forum. The constantly growing community is happy to engage in expert discussions and share their experiences with you. I also participate and support you with my network and expertise.

Do you like smart EMOTION, maybe saved time and money with it?

Then support the site with a membership and get exclusive rights.

You can find out more about this here.